Are You Too Embarrassed to Ask for Help?
Are you too embarrassed to ask for help? I was!
I’m going to give you something today that will help you get out of embarrassment and into relief.
First of all, quitting drinking was the BEST DECISION I’VE EVER MADE!! For one thing it has given my life meaning and passion.
You may be embarrassed about your drinking. I get it because I was too. I was craving information and help, and at the same time, I was too embarrassed and ashamed to ask for it.
Our culture is built around alcohol…
We live in an alcohol centered culture. There are ads for booze everywhere. What’s a celebration without champagne? Relax at the end of the day with a glass of wine or a cocktail? Of course! Need to cope with bad news? Pour a drink. For many years that was how I drank. Until I started drinking to cope with my feelings when my dad killed himself. I drowned the sharp edges of guilt with alcohol. Every day.
Here’s a few reasons why we get embarrassed:
- Most people don’t know how to deal with YOUR pain. It makes them feel uncomfortable. We haven’t been taught it’s okay to feel uncomfortable, and that we won’t die because we feeling our feelings.
- Generally, when we start drinking, we get embarrassed if we can’t “keep up” and we’re treated like that’s a bad thing. I sure didn’t want to be called a light-weight!
- And, if you develop a problem, our culture then teaches us to “pull yourself up by your bootstraps.”
- And, if you can’t people speak in hushed tones when someone has actually asked for help. “SShhh…she’s gone to rehab.”
Well, it is time to change that shit. I will not allow the gift of recovery to be tied up with a ribbon of shame.
These are my favorite tools that I use when shit hits the fan:
- I move to a quiet space where I can be alone.
- Sit down if possible, with my feet flat on the ground.
- Do three rounds of box breathing: Inhale 4 counts, hold for 4, exhale for 4, hold for 4
- Connect with my body.
- I understand that in this moment I am safe.
- Acknowledge that I need help (because we all do).
My name is Nancy McKay – Author, Speaker and Certified Life Coach. I help women who are worried about their drinking. Over-drinking is a symptom of a bigger issue. I have been sober since March 14, 2009 and I’ve been where you are. I found my courage and strength and I guide my clients to discover theirs, too.
Interested to find out if coaching is right for you?
If you’re looking for a coach that will inspire, motivate and empower you AND that knows how you feel – we should talk. Helping women make a shift in their thinking and in their lives thrills me to pieces and drives everything I do.
Here’s what one of my client’s had to say:
“Nancy provided coaching during a challenging time in my life. She listened and shared insight to help me gain perspective. Working with Nancy was amazing! I will be forever grateful.”
Your Life. Your Choice.
I’m here for you when you’re ready…
If you think you’ve had enough, I invite you to choose you, once and for all. See what getting support feels like by scheduling a complimentary assessment call. Click the button below.
Don't Miss an Issue!
Women & Alcohol
Get my weekly Sunday Snippets delivered straight to your inbox which include lots of useful information and inspiration to help you live your life more authentically without alcohol.